Thursday, August 13, 2009

New things

Why is it so hard to learn new things? My son just turned 2 a few days ago ... actually 12 days ago now. Where does the time go? Someone eats it. (That's something my friend used to say in college. I wonder if he still says it.) Someone must eat it. I just read some bios on Web 2.0 guys and they are tweeting, posting, blogging, podcasting, and supporting families. I'm struggling just to support my family. I love my family and want to provide for them but I am feeling tired all the time. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have cancer. More specifically, I have Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma. Why do I mention that? Because I wish that I had more energy and one of the reasons why I don't have so much energy is my condition. The other reason is because I am not highly motivated. Either way, I do want to change and get better - hence the start of this blog.
I had this grand idea ... actually it was suggested by some friends to start a blog about how I am doing so that people can read about it and not harass me with the same old questions "how you doing?" "what's new?" I resisted and resisted and realized that I am causing more stress by not doing this, so I decided to start my blog. I hope to talk about education stuff in this blog, but I think I will mainly focus on what is going on in my life for right now.
I am going to the hospital in a few hours to meet with my doctor and friend, Henry Sonneborn. He's my medical oncologist. We'll be discussing the CT scan that I just did yesterday at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, NH. I hope there is good news. I know God is healing me, but I don't know how long it will take. The good thing is that God is healing me.
So, learning new things. My son is a fearless boy ... until we teach him what to be afraid of. When he was a little boy, he loved to play with BUGS. "Bug," he would say. "Bug." Over and over until we would come over to check out the speck he found. The amazing thing is that one time he saw the tinyest bug from across the room, points at it and shouts out "bug." I think there is no chance he saw a bug so I dismiss it. Did he let go of the situation? What do you think? I go over to the spot to appease him and what do I find? A bug.
So, here's my kid - he loves bugs. One day, he's at the park with mommy and friends. He's looking at the carpenter ants and decides to pick one up. Big mistake. Those suckers have sharp pincers and they like to hold on. So, the ant pinches my sons finger and Carrie, my wife, trys to get the ant off and then there's blood. Uh oh. Does this curb his appetite for bugs? No. He still likes them, but every so often he will say, "bug ... bite you" then he'll ask to go inside.
Where did that fear come from? I don't know, but it's a new thing. The cool thing I learned from my son is that I need to learn new things. I didn't get that from the bug thing. The bug story is just a cute story that I wanted to share about learning new things. I picked this up while watching my son at swim lessons and at the store. When we go swimming, he loves and laughs when we do something new. When we practice doing something old, he can care less, but give him something new like a toy or a box. Oh boy. Prepare for hours of fun ... actually maybe fifteen minutes. :) There is nothing like the excitement of learning or discovering new things. Yeah, we feel a bit nervous at first, but in the end the initial feelings of nervousness is so worth it when you see the end product.
I'm learning new things with these Web 2.0 tools i.e. wiki's, blogs, podcasts, and more. I hope to keep adding more about what's going on, but for right now - time for night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment