Friday, February 12, 2010

Good father

So, what does it mean to be a good father? With all this physical and spiritual healing stuff that I am experiencing here at the clinic, one of the things that has come up is my father and how I feel as a father. In my letter to my father, I wrote how I don't know how to be a father because I never had a father. I know that God is my spiritual father and He will love me no matter what because of what Jesus has done on the cross, but how do I live it out physically. How do I not get frustrated and want to shout out of frustration when my son doesn't listen to me or when he talks back to me. I know my kid is only 2 and a half, but it still upsets me when he doesn't listen to me ... actually it really boils down to things not going my way or the way I planned. If you are reading this and you are a parent, you're probably thinking, "welcome to the club. life with kids never goes the way we plan it and if it does, are we controlling our kids' lives a little too much?"
So, I'm feeling down about being a father and I am in the Sono-therapy tub. Anna-Maria, one of the nurses, is helping me with the therapy and as usual, I am making small talk with her. For some reason, God, we start talking about Ezra. She says how great of a kid he is and I said something along the lines of "you probably say that about everyone's kid." She said that she doesn't and she knows from the few days that we've been here that I am a good father as well. I asked her how she could say that when she saw me discipline Ezra the other night and I just told her how I get frustrated with Ezra. She reminded me that all parents get frustrated with their kids, but she said from what she has seen of us and how Ezra behaves, she knows that we are good parents. She said the key is to keep telling Ezra that Jesus loves him, we love him and we do things because we love him.
I don't know what it was about that moment, God, but I was so encouraged. I am still struggling with dealing with Ezra, but I am determined to change things around. I know I can only do this with the help of the Holy Spirit and even though I mess up and get it wrong, His grace covers over me and my family. Thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment